The Iliotibal Band, or IT band for short, supports your knee joint. IT Band Syndrome is experienced when this thick band of connective tissue between your hip and the outside of your knee becomes inflamed.
When working normally, the IT band will glide across the outside of the knee over a fluid-filled sac called a bursa. If the IT band becomes too tight, the band will rub against the knee, causing friction, swelling, and pain.
- Pain when weight is put on the knee
- Pain during early knee bending
- Aching, burning, or tenderness on the outside of your knee
- Warmth and redness on the outside of your knee
- Swelling over the outside of your knee
- Pain gradually worsens while running or during other repetitive activities