The 5 Best Post Run Recovery Snacks
For most of us, recovering from a workout consists of hydration, stretching and a light snack or protein shake. This latter recovery phase and taking in the proper nutrition cannot be underestimated. The right carbs, packed with glucose and sucrose, combined with adequate protein, will speed up muscle recovery and help you adapt to your training more easily.
As for simple carbs versus the complex variety, either form will enhance recovery and restoration, but for best results and optimum health, select healthy items rather than junk foods.
Below is a list of 5 recommended snacks to facilitate your recovery from a run.
- Oatmeal is an excellent post-run rejuvenator because it’s packed with fibre, protein and carbohydrates. As an added bonus, the fibre minimises your risk of over-indulging because it fills you up quickly and has been shown to reduce bad cholesterol.
- Greek yogurt has been growing in popularity with both amateur and professional endurance athletes. It’s packed with restorative protein and can be garnished with fruit, honey and almonds for added flavour. It sounds like a decadent dessert but Greek yogurt is a healthy choice and good for you.
- Hummus is more than a healthy veggie dip or pitta filling. In addition to being a delicious combination of chickpeas, rich sesame oil, tart lemon juice, and spices, hummus is full of protein and contains plenty of fibre to help you feel full and satisfied. It’s also been linked to a host of health benefits including lower blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol.
- Nutrition bars are great if you don’t have the time or energy to put together a complex meal after a run. Choose bars that have a carb to protein ratio of 3 to 1, as the rebuild effect will be stronger.
- Chocolate milk is a first-rate rejuvenator. It is full of B vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates, which makes it excellent for post-run recovery option, once in a while.
Other examples of quick and effective nutrient replenishment include a protein shake, fruit and yogurt smoothie, or a bagel with peanut butter. Tuna on whole wheat is a particularly popular choice because protein and carbs combined are first-rate for rebuilding after a run and help you repair and build muscle while you enjoy a healthy snack.
In addition to eating, remember to hydrate. Adding fluids to your post-workout meal and during the hours that follow will help you recover more quickly both physically and mentally. You also need electrolytes, so consuming water with foods containing chloride, sodium and other minerals will rebalance your hydration levels.
About Enertor Advanced Technology Insoles
Enertor insoles are designed to prevent a number of common running injuries and provide more comfort. Designed by leading podiatrists to reduce your risk of injury, the unique design features support your foot throughout training. Enertor insoles are enhanced by D3O impact protection technology, which means they can provide more shock absorption than any other insole. Our expertise, combined with the patented D3O shock absorption technology, enables Enertor to deliver the most advanced injury prevention insoles on the market today.
Enertor insoles are available online HERE .
Whilst Enertor has over 18 years Orthotics experience, our blog content is provided for informational purposes only and it is not a substitute for your own doctor’s medical advice. Enertor advises anyone with an injury to seek their own medical advice – and do not make any health or medical related decisions based solely on information found on this site