What’s the difference between podiatry and physiotherapy? – ENERTOR®

🚚 FREE UK delivery on all orders ✅ 60 Day Money Back Guarantee

What’s the difference between podiatry and physiotherapy?

Finding the right person to treat your running injury can be a challenging task. There are many different types of specialist out there, and if you’re not sure exactly how you’ve hurt yourself, it can be even more daunting. As runners are more prone to injuries in the lower half of the body (hips, knees, ankles, feet), it’s likely they’ll seek out a podiatry or physiotherapy team to help them. But what’s the difference between them? 


Physiotherapists are trained to assist people regain function and strength in their bodies, including after injury. Much like a GP or family doctor, they are generalists who can treat issues anywhere in the body but may have a particular interest in one speciality or another. A physiotherapist will use movement and exercise as in treatment plans and focus on strengthening and supporting any injured areas of the body. A physiotherapist may be helpful if your pains or injuries are impacting more than one part of your body. 


Podiatry focuses solely on the health of feet. If you have injuries or issues with your feet and ankles only, a podiatrist may be a more appropriate choice. They can address internal issues such as fractures and muscular pain, but also common running injuries like blisters and calluses and toenail damage. A podiatrist may treat your problem in a number of ways, dependent on the type of injury.  


If you aren’t sure about who to call, you have a couple of options. You can book an appointment with your family doctor to secure a referral, as the doctor may have a better understanding of the injury. You could also call a podiatry team or a physiotherapist’s office to briefly describe the injury. They should be able to decide if your injuries are best treated by them or another type of specialist. 


About Enertor Advanced Technology Insoles –  Enertor insoles are designed to prevent a number of common running injuries and provide more comfort. Designed by leading podiatrists to reduce your risk of injury,  the unique design features support your foot throughout training.  Enertor insoles are enhanced by D3O impact protection technology, which means they can provide more shock absorption than any other insole.  Our expertise, combined with the patented D3O shock absorption technology, enables Enertor to deliver the most advanced injury prevention insoles on the market today.

Enertor insoles are available to buy from our online shop

Whilst Enertor has over 18 years Orthotics experience, our blog content is provided for informational purposes only and it is not a substitute for your own doctor’s medical advice. Enertor advises anyone with an injury to seek their own medical advice – and do not make any health or medical related decisions based solely on information found on this site.

The post What’s the difference between podiatry and physiotherapy? appeared first on Enertor.